Sunday, May 27, 2007

Did You Ask To Be Born?

This is the title of an article on the Chabad.org website. It is a very interesting interpretation/explanation/teaching (call it what you will) on Beresheit (Genesis) 1:26. I found it a fascinating concept to try to get my brain around. Judging by the comments left by readers on the website many did not find this take on scripture as fascinating as I did and some became quite offended. As was clearly stated in the article, the material being presented for consideration is only one of many explanations that have been offered over time.
It's been several months since I first read the article and it is never far from my thoughts. I can't help it, I find it well.....fascinating! :) As I have ruminated over this interpretation I have been motivated to "look for the good I chose". I have been battling with depression and/or depressive thoughts for many years now. Sometimes the only thought I seem to be able to express is "my life sucks". If this life was arbitrarily given to me, then I feel I have excellent grounds to complain to the one in charge of assigning lives because they screwed up majorly. OR perhaps, if I'm brave enough to open my mind and consider this powerful idea, I just might be motivated to look for this good I "chose". Obviously, if I did agree to this life I have, there must have been something worthwhile to choose. On days when the "my life sucks" tape in my brain is stuck in the on position, thinking through this article renews the hope in me that I do have a purpose in life and when I come to the end of this life, it won't have been lived in vain. Because if that "good that I chose" is/was used to bring light to someone else's darkness then it's all worth it, right?! Rats, that just sounds so cliche but you know what I mean, don't you? Because, my life really does suck when I'm living it so self-centeredly (is that a word?).
There is always a bigger picture in life, one that we can't see until our perspective changes.
If you are interested in reading the article for yourself go here: http://www.chabad.org/library/article.asp?AID=425923

No comments: